Reading the Bible has been a fervent practice among most of the Christians, especially non-Catholic Christians. Catholics have begun to to show interest in reading Bible only from the recent decades. They were more involved in other devotions than reading the Bible. It is only after the Vatican Council II that they have begun to show interest in reading the Bible.
What is Bible?
Bible is the long love letter of God. It is the document of the incredible love between God and humanity. It is the story of God’s search for humans. It is the longing desire of Godto share the life experiences of humanity directly.
Three marveling experiences of reading Bible
1) When you open the Bible and read the passages, you will marvel at the great height, depth, breadth and length of God’s love for you.
2) You will be drawn into the embrace of God’s love.
3) And you can explore the wonderful network of loving relationships which form the Kingdom of God.
Why should we read the Bible?
Reading the Bible helps us KNOW God more, NOURISH our spirit and to LEARN GOD’S PLAN
1) Reading the Bible helps us know God more by living with the life situations narrated in the Bible. The more we know about a person the more we can love the person. It builds up a personal relationship. Reading the Bible with attention and with your whole heart will help you in many ways.The Bible narrates the immense love that God has been showing in order to protect humanity in every way.
2) Reading the Bible nourishes the spirit by strengthening faith in God. The words of God, found in the Bible, are food for soul. It is as necessary as food for the body. Reading Bible is the spiritual food of every Christian. It fulfills the word of God, “Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4) This nourishment is necessary for a Christian growth.
3) Reading the Bible guides you with the divine inspirations which lead you in your life. It reveals the divine plan for you. It helps us to pray with more confidence. History shows that many saints and holy people were guided by the words of God. It suggested the ways they should walk. As the Psalmist says, the Bible guides in the right track of life. “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.” (Psalms 32:8)